Edward Said once said of Auerbach that “even in english translation, the hallmark of Auerbach’s style is an unruffled at times even lofty and supreme calm tone conveying a combination of quiet erudition allied with an over-ridingly patient and loving confidence in his mission as a scholar…”
This beautifully expressed idea of a writing style that is thoughtful, slowly unraveled, and graceful is meaningful particularly in this age of quick answers and emails.
For my part, my projects begin by hand, staggered patterns of words -through this method I achieve a space that exists between image, musical sound & structure.
I also lend my support and writing to various collaborations with emerging artists, in addition to galleries, museums and foundations. I am currently working on a monograph on the late American painter Edward E. Boccia, as well as two contemporary art books. I continue to contribute to various peer reviewed projects.
Gustav Klimt Avenue in the Park of Schloss Kammer 1912, Austrian Gallery Belvedere
Select Writing About Modern Art, Late 19th c-mid 20th c
- “The Radical Work of Oskar Kokoschka and the Alternative Venues of Die Kunstschauen of 1908–1909, Vienna, Austria.” Exhibiting Outside the Academy, Salon and Biennial, 1775-1999: Alternative Venues, Ashgate Press.
- Expressionist Death Images & The Feminine Other: Oskar Kokoschka’s MÖRDER HOFFNUNG DER FRAUEN (1907) & Hugo von Hofmannthal’s ELEKTRA (1903), Death Representations in Literature: Forms and Theories, Cambridge Scholars Press
- THE EXPLORATION OF DREAMS: KOKOSCHKA’S “DIE TRÄUMENDEN KNABEN” AND FREUD
- Image & Narrative: The Early Portraits of Oskar Kokoschka: A Narrative of Inner Life
- Paul Cézanne
- André Derain, The Guggenheim Museum
- Otto Gutfreund, The Guggenheim Museum
- Yves Tanguy, The Museum of Modern Art, New York
- Aristide Maillol, Christie’s, New York
- Henri Laurens, Christie’s New York
- Remedios Varo: The Mexican Drawings, Journal of Surrealism in the Americas
Lowered by Lara Zankoul, Photographer, Lebanon
Select Writing About Contemporary Art, Mid 20th c – present
- Burhan Dogancay, The Guggenheim Museum
- Matthew Barney, The Museum of Modern Art
- Gabriel Orozco, The Museum of Modern Art
- Color Labs, Digital Art Technology, Science, & Paint in Santiago Rueda’s ColorLab Series
- ROSA JH BERLAND// NEW RESEARCH ON THE WORK OF THE AMERICAN PAINTER EDWARD E. BOCCIA
- Between London and Berlin: Negotiating the feminine in the work of artist Silja Addy
- Santiago Rueda’s Fabric a Dress: Haute Couture and Feminine Desire?
- Hajime Sorayama: 50 Paintings (Note: adult only content/ erotic genre)
Admiration is a painting by the contemporary American Artist Aaron Westerberg